The day has finally arrived….
“For You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. ” (Psalm 139: 13-14)
10 + 10 + 10 + 10…
20 x 2…
No matter which way you look at it, it is still difficult to believe. How did I get here? 40? Really? These numbers were reserved for the older generation, like my parents (sorry guys, if you are reading this). But me? I thought I was at 29 and holding?? Does this mean I have now become “middle-aged”? Surely not!
“I’m not 40. I am 18 with 22 years experience!”
~ Did you know that –40° is the unique temperature at which the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales correspond. In other words, -40°F is equal to -40°C. Hmmm… I didn’t know that!
~ 40 is the atomic number of zirconium. Also known as the poor man’s diamond. Hmmm… that explains a lot!
~ There are 40 hours in a typical work week.
~ The average pregnancy lasts 40 weeks (although it sure feels like 90!!).
~ During the Great Flood, it rained for 40 days and 40 nights.
~ God’s people wandered through the wilderness for 40 years. Hmmm… that kind of sounds like the first 40 years of my life!! (haha)
~ Jesus fasted and prayed for 40 days.
~ The time between Jesus’ resurrection and ascension to Heaven… yeah, you guessed it: 40 days!
~ Ronald Reagan was our 40th president!
Needless to say, 40 seems to be a very monumental, significant number!
With this in mind, I raise my glass and toast to all of my fellow 40 year old friends… and to those of you who have gone before me (some of whom have been there for quite some time!!). Here is to 40 years of life so graciously given to us from The One above. Here is to every smile, joy, tear, and heartbreak; to each and every breath.
Over the last year I have been compiling a list of 40 things I would like to accomplish while 40. It seems easy, but it has been very difficult, as I wanted the list to be both meaningful and achievable. This is not a “bucket list” (as that is for another time), but rather something for me to focus on as I celebrate this milestone in my life; something to help better me for the next 40+ years. So… in no particular order, here goes.
40. I would like to have a completely cleaned house. (Imagine…. I can see it now!) Not just a few rooms – not every room except for the one that we have filled with boxes and baskets of items that need to be put away, the door to which we close so our company does not see – but a completely clean, spotless house, baseboards and windows included! Even if just for one day… it might just be heaven on earth! (Hmmm… this is a big project; thinking I may need to outsource for this one…. Monetary donations are now being accepted! haha).
39. I want to watch the movie Pride and Prejudice with my daughter, and the Bourne Trilogy with my boys!
38. I want to wish everyone I know via facebook a Happy Birthday… and to send cards to my close family and friends when appropriate. Oohh… maybe start a birthday calendar! This could be fun!
37. I want to be considered a conservationist of the paper towel. It’s unbelievable the number I use on a daily basis (those little things can be quite handy!); I think I have been keeping Bounty in business.
36. I would like to lose these last few pounds of baby weight. Having a baby at 38 is such a huge difference than at 25!! (And what can I say… we cook good food around here!!)
35. I have a list of friends that I have not seen in years… for some almost 20! We keep saying we are going to reconnect, but we just never seem to make the time. I want to make every reconnection, even if just for a quick cup of coffee.
34. I want to get through my “to do” lists… not lose them or forget about them, but actually do them.
33. I would like to spend more time outdoors. I love being outside, but I keep finding distractions that seem to take precedence and keep me indoors. No more! I want to enjoy the beautiful world outside that God created!
32. I would like to be in the habit of making my bed every day! Yeah, yeah… I know I am supposed to make my bed each day, and I really do love the way it looks when all the pillows are perfectly adorning the comforter in the right order, but that takes so much time and energy each and every morning. Most of the time, I just prefer to leave it all snuggly and keep that “lived in” feel to it. *sigh*
31. I want to remember to mail all the Thank You letters to the people who need to be thanked! I actually have an entire Hallmark store in my file folders. My intentions have always been there, but my forgetfulness (which I am convinced is actually a neurological issue)… hmmm…… what were we taking about, again??
30. I want to be organized. (For those of you who know me personally, stop laughing!)
29. Okay, I want to at least have my pictures organized. This would be a huge accomplishment considering I have thousands… upon thousands….
28. I would like to once again be sleeping through the night! I dream of this… (with eyes wide open, of course).
27. I want to begin writing a book; even if the words are never read, at least I would have my thoughts written down (which I have found to be very therapeutic and healing for me!!).
26. I want to keep in touch with friends and family; I mean seriously, how difficult can it be to pick up the phone that is always in my back pocket and send a quick text??
25. I want to talk, to everyone; not be afraid when entering a room full of people or a coffee shop that has large tables that you must share. I want to engage in conversations and hear people’s stories; each one of us has a story to tell!
24. I would love to have an exercise routine… nothing too extravagant, as I don’t want to displace a hip; after all, I am 40 now!
23. I would like very much to stop stressing over the little things. Even though it is the perfectionist in me, I want to be able to relax and enjoy each moment, holiday, birthday and event without the stress! (Again, to those who know me personally… stop laughing!!)
22. I want to finish what I start: movies (without falling asleep), projects, conversations… thoughts!! Nothing half-way; it’s all or nothing!
21. I want to complete my first 5k race… even if it means walking (old injury, I am not a runner). Yeah, I would love to have one of those cute little stickers to put on the back of my car window that says “13.1” or “26.2” or even “140.6”, but seriously… let’s be realistic. Besides, there are way too many of those out there on other cars. I believe in being an original… standing out in the crowd; how about a “1”… or a “5”??
20. I would really like to stop being critical of others, and make a habit of finding the positives; to see the good in everyone!
19. I want to follow through with all of my words… if I say it, do it.
18. I want to be finished with this list!! (It is much harder than it looks!!) I have been working on this list for almost a year. *Insert yawn*
17. I wish I could go on a mission trip. But since that is not a reality for this upcoming year, I must find a way to make a mission right where I am.
16. I would like to reach the point where I do not worry about others’ thoughts or views of me.
15. I want to be able to do all for my audience of One… God above! (See #16.)
14. I would like to write each one of my children a very personalized letter, to share my thoughts of them, explain my love for them, and encourage them to grow into the individuals God created them to be!
13. I want to think before I speak; too many feet have already been inserted into this mouth! This is difficult for me, as I always have an opinion on everything. “Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.” (Psalm 19:14 KJV)
12. I would like to be considered a “Writer”. I never dreamed I would ever write, as my passions always took me to other creative outlets… nevertheless, here I am!
11. I hope to be an even-tempered, patient woman and mama (again, to those who know me, stop laughing).
10. I want to complete my list of 1000 gifts; not just to write down random things, but to truly look at the world around me and be thankful for the little things I might otherwise overlook!!
9. I want to show my heart for people, wear it on my sleeve! God has started giving me a heart for others… so what am I going to do with it? I need to be His hands and feet in the world, show His love to others!
8. I want to live my life intentionally; we never know which day will be our last.
7. I want to completely forgive others, and heal any broken or strained relationship that has affected my life. (Yes, this may prove more difficult with some than others!)
6. I want to be the mother my children can be proud of…. Difficult, as I know how often I have failed them…. *sigh*
5. I want to feel “Accomplished” in something… to know I have made a difference in someone’s life!
4. I hope and pray that I can reach a place in my life where I am truly living each day with no regrets… to the fullest!
3. I want to be right where God wants me to be: hopefully a little closer to the top of the mountain, rather than where I have been (the valley is getting old)!
2. I want to say “I Love You”… often, never letting a moment or opportunity pass by me!!
1. I want to be considered “A Woman of Faith”… one who loves and trusts her God with all her heart, soul and mind, who believes that NOTHING is impossible with God, witnesses His miracles in her life, and passes this legacy of faith down to her children!
So, here I go; I’m starting a new day, a new week, a new year and a new decade. I am thanking God above for the last forty years of my life and I am looking forward to what He has planned for my future!
“40”…. It’s gonna be great!!
May you find the beauty in today (no matter what age you are),
“He has made everything beautiful in its time” (Ecclesiastes 3:11)
~ Leave me a comment, I would love to read YOUR thoughts~♥
Recent entries from my gratitude journal: (to read more about this, click here):
188. A weekend with a full house!
189. Brokenness… from which true beauty is found!
193. Daughter’s surprise visit from college!!!